Well, I almost finished the work week. I worked 3 12 hour shifts, then had one night off and was scheduled for 3 more 12 hour shifts. Every day closer to the end of the week was harder and I was progressively more exhausted. By the end of my 5th shift I was light-headed and felt like collapsing on the floor in a heap. So before I left in the morning, I let them know I wouldn't be coming in for the last one. I just couldn't do it. It's not fair to the patients, they deserve more than a space cadet nurse.
I came home from my shift and went immediately to bed. Usually I chill for about a half hour or so before bed. I then proceeded to sleep for 12 hours.
Of course, I feel guilty about leaving my coworkers short. But I also don't want someone to get hurt because I missed something. And someday, I'd like to get better.
No comments:
Post a Comment