Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Real life nursing

I talked to my friend, John, today. After nursing school he moved to Indiana with his husband and has recently been working at what sounds to be a hospital similar to Harborview. He seems to be in the same boat as me, except possibly worse. Always short staffed with patients that are often on the verge of being in the ICU. I suppose this is the reality shock they warned us about in school. The real world makes it difficult, if not impossible, for people to be the quality nurses that they want to be.

I am coming up on a year at Harborview. I have known, even before I started working as a nurse, that hospital nursing wasn't for me. With a year of medical-surgical experience under my belt, I may start looking at what else is out there. It definitely won't be hard to find work.

No comments: