It's actually kind of silly, how people often act when someone does or gives something for/to someone for no reason. "Oh my gosh, really, you didn't need to do that" or "You shouldn't have spent the money, how much do I owe you?"
I went to breakfast on my way home from work this morning and ran into a old friend from Metro. He was sitting with another guy and I sat and visited with them for a minute. Then I went and got my own table and ate and read my book. When I went to the cashier to pay she said, "Someone already paid for your breakfast." I could have done that goofy thing and went over and said "oh man, no way, let me give you the money for that. " But instead I thought about how nice it was and how, no shit, nobody ever HAS to do anything nice. So I went over to his table and said "Thanks so much!" and gave him a hug and went home happy and full.
Much more satisfying, I believe, for both parties to just let the gifting happen and not to "argue" about it. Doing nice and often unexpected things for other people is FUN. And I think part of the fun is knowing that, of course you don't have to do it...you WANT to. I am going to try to remember to accept gifts and gestures graciously and without argument.
No comments:
Post a Comment