Saturday, April 25, 2009

A new chapter

I know I'm getting older, but I still thought I was too young to hear the words, "There is something really wrong with your heart" uttered by a medical professional.

Instead of going to work yesterday, one of the other nurses there drove me to urgent care because I was having some painful breathing which I thought was also the cause of the pain in my chest. Turns out, I have pneumonia (again) and as of right now, some unknown heart condition. Some other words that were uttered were pericarditis, very enlarged, lupus. Possibly more but I tuned out a bit when he started talking about how I need to go to the hospital. Some good news: the cardiologist looked at the CT scan and thought it wasn't necessary to hospitalize me right then. So I was given some more blood tests, a shot of Toradol in my hip, an appointment with the cardiologist next week for an echocardiogram, some antibiotics, some ibuprofen, and sent on my way.

The appointment with the cardiologist isn't until Friday, so lucky me, I have the whole week to ponder on the situation. My boss is incredibly awesome and will give me whatever time I need off. So far, I'm off the schedule for the day of the appointment and for Monday and Tuesday. She told me to just call her and let her know if I feel like working the other 2 days or not.

I suppose I should use this week to ponder my life and worry and think about possible upcoming lifestyle changes. But....I'm not going to do that. There will be plenty of time for that. I have already set up camp here on the couch. I've got cable and a big TV, tons of yarn and knitting projects, plenty of books that need reading, plenty of movies that need watching, and I need lots of rest so there will be plenty of naps.

I know things will be ok. It's just really weird to even be thinking about stuff like this.

No comments: